*NEW SITE*

***In case anyone missed it we have moved to a new location. Some of you may still be finding yourselves here through one old link or another. If you do, head on over to www.thewanderingalchemist.com and see what our new site looks like!***

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Updates And Brave New Worlds Info

Hello everyone, I would like to start by mentioning Mondays.  As I mentioned two weeks ago I am doing home brew stuff on every Wednesday now, so that is why you didn't see anything yesterday.  As for next week (1st of the month), it is likely that no new Last Year On Earth will show.  I don't know how many of you are curious about how we did, but we haven't played again yet.  The holidays are havoc on scheduling.  If we can catch up play, which I would love to do, I will throw up February as soon as possible and save March for 6 weeks from now as planned.  This Thursday I am going to do a special New Years resource post.  It won't be much of a suggestions on resources, but more of a goal I am setting that will result in future resources posts.  It will also include 6 items instead of 3!

Today, I wanted to talk about Brave New Worlds.  The podcast is on its way to being a reality.  If you have watched the twitter feed or followed me, you may have seen the mic we got.  I have also gotten a nice portable Chromebook (best Christmas present) to dedicate to gaming, this blog, and the podcast.  I am working on two worlds and basic arcs to play through, though I have not decided which will be first.  Additionally two of three characters are made up and ready to go.

While I have to admit we will not be playing the main Brave New Worlds campaign until February (January is turning out to be a busy month), I am planning on doing at least one "test" session before then.  Likely this will be a 4E Gamma World game with some quick randomly generated characters and a single session adventure.  Obviously we have not recorded before, and we do want to make sure sounds are pretty good, so that will be our first full session recording.  Provided it does not induce the bleeding of ears I will start Brave New Worlds with that full session.

As for the main campaign, I have mentioned a bit but wanted to throw out some more.  It will be a Savage Worlds game.  I will be drawing from a variety of the games books and settings including Slipstream and Realms of Cthulhu.  The reason for this is as simple as the whole point of the game.  Things exist beyond the reckoning of all realms.  This they have in common.  Additionally they have an organization, fairly new but very dedicated to eliminating such threats.

Each PC will be a character from a unique realm (universe/reality/etc.).  They will have different backgrounds, be from different worlds, and have different understandings of things like magic.  In fact something like magic may work differently for each character, or it may be something that doesn't exist in their world.  I am sure many of you have questions about how they will use magic in different universes or something similar.  Those will be answered in time, but you are welcome to ask and I will give answers as best I can without giving it away to the players.

All of this is the reason I am using Savage Worlds (aside from my general love of the system).  Savage Worlds is designed to be used in many genres and lends itself to amalgamizing genres.  Realm of Cthulhu by Reality Blurs, is also my favorite handling of insanity rules usable in many situations and with varying levels of grit.  I did consider other options such as Fate Core or AGE, but I ended up going with Savage Worlds.  I have the books and have used the system.  I have and like the insanity rules.  Additionally there is significant structure there to do what I want in this campaign.  Arc involving a relic in a world of superheroes that my player's must journey to?  Covered.  Savage Worlds, in a nutshell, does everything I want and need it to.

There are two other things I'd like to mention today.  One Brave New Worlds, I plan and hope, will include additional games featuring one shots and short arcs.  I am hoping to use it as a platform to test out non-D&D games.  We have our long-term campaign and I have a couple on-and-off potentiall long-term games.  They're all D&D/Pathfinder.  I want to play other games and we have tried them out on occasion.  Brave New Worlds gives me an opportunity to get more enthusiasm for doing a fun and knowingly short game.  Hopefully I can get some on-air feedback afterwards on those too, providing more for listeners.

Finally, do me a favor and think about this, as I have witnessed all type and listened to them too.  There are many ways to upload actual play podcasts.  Parts by session, parts by time, parts by good pause points.  What are your preferences?  Do you want to have entire sessions or more frequent uploads of shorter portions of a session?  I am going to throw up a poll in the next couple weeks on various communities and on my site.  If you see it do me a favor and vote.  Thanks all for any comments, feedback, and questions now and moving forward!

No comments:

Post a Comment