*NEW SITE*

***In case anyone missed it we have moved to a new location. Some of you may still be finding yourselves here through one old link or another. If you do, head on over to www.thewanderingalchemist.com and see what our new site looks like!***

Monday, June 22, 2015

The Sugar Coated Truth Part 2

Hello again everyone!  As you can see I have changed the design of the site.  This time however it was not really of my own volition but as the result of my inability to change the poll text colors using Blogger's gadget.  So, I have edited the design to make it visible for everyone and I hope it will be the last time, at least for quite a while.  Obviously the second change is the addition of the poll.  I will also be posting this poll in the Wizard's Community and the Paizo boards (which I have also joined and started promoting in.  Feel free to answer this poll and comment in the threads.  Responses will be totaled and determine what order I start posting things.  Also please feel free to comment any other ideas!  Now back to godlings....


So, as I mentioned in Part 1 Aikos pledged himself to find and take up the mantle of god of cakes, a deity accidentally created by joking around about just one event in one session.  Seeing as it has been my goal to form this home brew world around the campaign and my players I decided not to hold back, to allow this to become not only cannon, but to also begin using this as basis of hooking the group into events, that player especially.

The result involved a lot of things.  Aikos continued to gather popularity and fame, simply out of his ability to rally and fight beside the everyman.  As a magus he begun to take spells that could be flavored to help represent his continually growing obsession with sweets and pastries.  Additionally he used his mythic feats to allow him to gain domains and the ability to grant followers divine abilities.

For my part, the setting is one designed on the verge of apocalypse.  The rift I mentioned in part one is something that leads to a place beyond time and space, the home of aberrant creatures and elder gods (can't help but love Lovecraft and the mythos).  It also serves as a source of inter-dimensional instability.  As it lies in my head such a rift opened on every imagined world that pops in my head.  A device that at first was meant as a way for me to explain randomness and allow me to sate those goldfish cravings within my main campaign.  What it has lead me to is a long term plan for this campaign and the true development of what I hope to be my personal and persistent world through my future years of DMing.

Anyways, in the campaign the decedents of those who opened the rift have been a problem and in investigating these, the players discovered an event that happened shortly before hand (with some hints dropped and a vision granted to the oracle).  This amounted to using a powerful artifact as a test run for the ritual for opening of the rift.  The result was a dwarf city lying in ruins for a century and run by beings from a number of realms.

For Aikos I dropped a mad dwarven chef remaining in the ruins and somehow (during the horrible event) was granted a portion of the being of the same god as that poor cake maker Aikos got killed.  Wielding an artifact known as Mother's Mallet (a mythril rolling pin with the ability to deal non-lethal damage at-will and summon the horrible pathfinder version of tooth-fairies) and being surrounded by a variety of food monsters.  These included mimics reskinned to be taffy monsters that changed color and flavor based on a variable resistance addition, a gigantic rock candy caterpillar, elemental frosting archons (an idea given to me by Aikos himself), and finally a gigantic honey golem in the shape of a bear (of course!).

It was one of the more fun dungeons I have designed and provided me with an opportunity to have some fun with monster editing and making.  Down the road I did something similar bringing to the players a group of gourd leshy being pursued by dullahans.  These, in turn, were saved by slaying the leader: a horrible home made jack-o'-lantern / scarecrow creature holding an artifact sickle once belonging to some unnamed and unknown harvest god.  Not only had a drinking session with the god of luck and drinking put the idea of the harvest domain into the would be god of cakes, but Aikos landed the killing blow.  It was completely unplanned but allowed me to have the sickle appear to him regardless of who tried to take it or wield it.

Here we start coming to the end of Aikos as a character.  With his player moving to Japan to teach (life's dream, you go dude!!) it was on me to formulate a plan to expedite the transition to godhood.  In the end there was a horrible vision, the possibility of the end of the world, and the herald of end-times making his home near to the PCs home-base in an old abandoned fort.  Beginning to realize they needed a more defensible and militarized base for what was becoming a complicated future, they faced the herald.  The fight was quite good, with Aikos' character playing his role with excellent descriptions complimenting my attempt at making it more cinematic, short battle with big hits and actions.  It was all about him and the other player's knew it and helped.

In the end Aikos ended the herald and the explosion of power knocked down everyone.   Aikos absorbed the divine essence and his drinking buddy led him into the greater world of finding a place for his godly throne in the Astral Sea.  It was a great end to a great character.  Forever will Aikos be a god in my world.  God of cakes, brewing, harvest, and even justice.  What started as a role-playing joke to add some levity to paranoia turned into my first player who became a god.  


As much as I would like to expand on what I've mentioned and what I learned I am going to save it for next time.  I will be trying to continue posting twice a week, and will be posting at least once a week (probably Mondays).  Please continue to read and feel free to ask me any questions about the campaign, I will do my best to answer them when I can.  Thanks to everyone reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment